Monday 22 October 2012

White Bread

 
As someone who came into cooking as an adult I have been practising making simple things that can compliment more complicated dishes. Bread is something that generally scares me when I think about making it. It is something that can be devoured in seconds or pushed off to the side in favour of something tastier. I lean towards savoury herb breads that you can slather with butter and sop up sauces with. I have been working with a different bread recipe than before and I think this one is actually better for adding some sweeter ingredients and using with jams, jellies, or French toast.

 
 

Ingredients:

-          Packet of dry yeast
-          3-3.5 cups plain flour
-          1 tsp salt
-          1/4 cup sugar
-          1 cup warm milk
-          2tsp melted butter
-          1 egg, lightly beaten
-          2 tbsp melted butter
-          Additional tasty ingredients
 
Directions:

Making this bread is super easy. Mix everything in a large bowl (I’ve been using a big pot because we don’t have a mixing bowl). Knead until it is smooth and elastic. Put the dough ball into a greased bowl and cover letting it rise for an hour or so. Knock down the dough and either put it into a greased loaf pan or on a greased baking tray. Let rise again. Brush with some egg and milk if you want a crunchy crust, for the big loaf pictured I used oil and it ended up soft. Bake at 200 C for 20-25 min.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment